Friday, August 17, 2012

Birth Certificate

After coming across this recent article (http://blog.nj.com/njv_guest_blog/2012/07/after_baby_is_stillborn_grievi.html) and doing some research, I found out that states vary in their definitions of stillbirth. In Pennsylvania, the death of a baby is considered a stillbirth at 16 weeks gestation or more. Since we lost Daniel at nearly 20 weeks, our son is considered to have been a stillborn baby.  I found an application on the Vital Records website to apply for a birth certificate for Daniel.  I just finished filling out the form and getting together the other documents to send.  I know that other moms fought hard for this legislation to pass and I am so grateful to them. Because of their hard work, the state of Pennsylvania recognizes the life of our son. I think one of the worst fears of a baby loss mom is that her child or children will be forgotten because they were not as visible to the outside world. I was the one who felt my body change and felt Daniel's little flutters of movement. Tyler and I were the only ones who heard his beautiful heartbeat and saw him on the ultrasound screen.  To the rest of the world, there were not many tangible signs that I had a little human inside of me.  Obviously as his parents, we were most connected to him. When Daniel died, parts of us literally died with him. To have our state recognize his life and essentially say, "Your son mattered. He deserves a birth certificate just like anyone else." is very special. Off to the post office to mail it now - hopefully there will be no complications with getting it processed and receiving Daniel's "Certificate of Birth resulting in Stillbirth" certificate.

No comments:

Post a Comment